Player Zythe came up with this amazing idea of positive monster affixes 4 days ago. The idea become so popular that one thread wasn't enough. There is now a second, third, fourth, and even a fifth thread!
If for some odd reason you are not aware of monster affixes, we have a full list over at Diablo 3 Affixes.
Now what is this whole "positive" affix idea about? Aren't affixes meant to make the elite monsters stronger?
The basic idea is that each elite monster pack has a chance of rolling a positive affix alongside the other normal affixes we have currently in the game. This would not only make hunting elite packs more fun for the player, but it might also give them a reason to go after those impossibly hard packs that manage to roll brutal affix combinations (see Diablo 3 Worst Affixes).
Many ideas have sprung up in the threads about what these affixes should look like. Here are some of them:
- Hoarder - 100% chance to drop a level 63 item
- Rich - Drops 10 times more gold
- Ancient - Higher chance of dropping a legendary weapon
- Appraiser - 100% chance to drop a 6 affix Rare item
- Cursed - Buffs the player with bonus damage on death
- Traitor - Reveals the location of the nearest Treasure Goblin upon defeat (possibly on the map)
- Traitorous - Killing the leader of a unique pack will cause the minions to fight for you for 3 minutes before either dying out or attacking you again
- Collector - Drops a high end jewel
- Wealthy - Gives a +50% Magic Find and Gold Find buff that stacks with Valor and Shrines
- Ringleader - 100% chance to drop a rare ring
- Pendulous - 100% chance to drop a rare amulet
- Supersonic - Gives a 25% Movement Speed buff for a duration
- Supercharge - Doubles resource regeneration for a duration
- Mysterious - A rare affix that causes the last monster in a pack to spawn a portal leading to a special dungeon, or maybe an item that when used spawns a super hard monster that guarantees high end drops
- Conviction - A buff reminiscent of Mehpisto in Diablo 2 that gives the player an aura that reduces nearby monster's resists and armor
- Virulence - Gives a 2 minute buff that increases player damage done to elites by 15% (goes away upon killing the next pack)
- Defender - Gives a 5 minute Resist All buff that is not stackable
- Valor - Receive 2-3 stacks of Nephalem Valor instead of 1
- Kidnapper - Spawns a temporary merchant upon death
- Crafter - Has a 50% chance to drop a crafting recipe or a 50% chance to drop some gems
- Repairer - Restores your items to 100% durability upon death
- Fear - Gives the player a 5 minute buff that causes all monsters to no longer aggro the player unless he attacks them first
- Collector - 100% chance to drop a set item
I even contributed my own ideas in the third thread:
- Fatal Attraction - Has a 100% chance to spawn a Treasure Goblin upon death
- Loaded - Drops 4 extra items in addition to the regular drops that can be of any quality
- Gem Master - Drops 5 extra gems in addition to the regular drops that can be of any quality
As a joke, there was even this affix proposed that made me laugh real hard:
- Jay Wilson - Fixes this game upon defeat
Besides ideas for the actual affixes, players also came up with gameplay ideas on how this new system would work. We already mentioned how these positive affixes would appear in addition to the regular affixes, but players suggested they would only be revealed halfway through the battle (if the monster spawned with one, that is). When this 50% mark is reached, the positive affix would show up under the other affixes in the color green.
Other players suggested that positive affixes would only have a chance to appear when the player has 5 valor stacks.
If you want to support the idea, please head to the 5 threads linked to in the first paragraph and thumb up and request sticky on each.