Blizzard has just announced that the Starter Edition of Diablo 3 is now available. It has actually been around for some time now, but you required a guest pass to access it before.
You have 3 ways to get the Starter Edition into your account:
- By logging into your Battle.Net account and signing up for it through the "Your Game Accounts" section.
- By creating a new Battle.Net account (it is automatically added).
- By installing the game from a friend's disc, then logging in with your account. The Starter Edition will automatically be added to your account.
This is a nice way to try the game if you have not yet played it, as any progress and achievements you get will carry over to the full game if you decide to upgrade.
It has the following restrictions:
- Can only play up to the Skeleton King in Act 1
- Capped at level 13
- Can only play with other people using the Starter Edition
- Cannot use the AH (both gold and real-money)
You can however use Global Play with the Starter Edition.
The official FAQ on the subject can be found here.